Brandeis University Student Killed and 26 Injured in Shuttle Bus Crash

A university shuttle bus crashed late Saturday night in Waltham, killing Brandeis University student Vanessa Mark and injuring more than a dozen others.
When the bus slammed into a tree on South Street around 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan and Waltham Police Chief Kevin O’Connell initially stated in a joint statement that the bus was returning to Northeastern University from a hockey game. However, the school later clarified that the bus was operating as part of a regular shuttle loop to Cambridge and Boston and was not returning from Northeastern.

The reason for the crash is still unknown.According to Waltham Fire Chief Andrew Mullin, it is currently the subject of an exhaustive investigation.
Jordyn Jagolinzer of WBZ heard screams after the bus struck multiple trees, according to a witness.The accident destroyed the bus.

“On the spot, one student was pronounced dead.In their statement, Ryan and O’Connell said, “The remaining 26 students and the bus driver sustained injuries of varying degrees and were all transported to area hospitals.”There are no charges against you.”Vanessa Mark, an undergraduate student, was later identified as the person who died by the university.

Brandeis president Ron Liebowitz said Imprint was “as of now on leave,” however added that she was living in Waltham and “was a functioning and valued individual from the Brandeis people group.”
In a letter to the campus on Sunday, Liebowitz stated, “We have been in touch with Vanessa’s family and will continue to stay in contact with them in the coming days, and we will keep you updated about ways we will honor Vanessa’s memory.”

In an email to WBZ, university spokesperson Julie Jette stated, “Given the number of injured people and the different hospitals to which they were transported, it is taking time to determine the status of everyone involved, including which passengers are Brandeis students.”She stated later that only five patients remained in the hospital.

“I am aware that the devastation caused by the fatal shuttle accident last night is currently sweeping through our community.”Everyone’s recovery will take time, and we are all experiencing the shock of such a terrible accident,” Liebowitz stated.

“The fact that we all have numerous unanswered questions at this time adds to the difficulty of absorbing such painful news.Throughout the accident investigation, we have collaborated with Waltham Police and will maintain close communication with the department.The safety of our students is the most important thing, so we’re going to find out everything we can about how this happened.As more information becomes available, university leaders will continue to share it.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *